February 14 is internationally celebrated as a day of love; however, some persons believe that the day is less about love and more about fattening pockets of business owners. Whatever your view, you can’t deny that extra special feeling the day brings.
Traditionally, Valentine’s Day means roses, chocolates, perhaps a teddy bear, and then dinner. Hey, nothing is wrong with tradition. But why not make a new tradition this year? Here are some Valentine’s Day ideas that will surely blow your socks off!
- Hiking through Holywell. It has several hiking trails for persons who are at varying stages of fitness. The lush greenery and heavenly scenery is sure to make your lover fall in love with you all over again. This is a wonderful idea for those persons on the “#fit2013” campaign… getting fit with your partner. The area is just one hour’s drive from New Kingston (according to the Jamaica Conservation and Development Trust Website: http://www.jcdt.org.jm/) and you can opt for a guided or unguided tour. The guided tours will not cost more than JMD$ 400. There is also a kid’s discovery area, so children are welcome. You can have a picnic, camp-out, or book a cabin (however, you will have to make the booking a month in advance). For more information visit: http://www.blueandjohncrowmountains.org/sustainable-tourism/recreation-areas/holywell.html or call the Jamaica Conservation and Development Trust offices at: (876) 960-2848-9 or 920-8278-9
- Flying to Santiago de Cuba or perhaps Montego Bay. How about a romantic mini-getaway? The Jamaica Air Shuttle offers flights to Santiago de Cuba and Montego Bay all week. Why not jet away to Cuba for a romantic lunch and be back in time for dinner; or you may decide to fly to Montego Bay for a relaxing day, and get back to Kingston my nightfall. Jamaica Air Shuttle offers group rates and private charters to other destinations across the Caribbean and Central America. For more information, check their website: http://www.jamaicaairshuttle.com/home.html , call (876) 923-0371-3 or e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Bookophilia’s special event. Perhaps you (or your partner, or both of you) love books and maybe you’re even a fan of Tai Chi… Then the Bookophilia Valentine’s Day event is perfect for you! Head down to the Bookophilia store (92 Hope Road, Kingston 6) at 7pm to meet legendary Tai Chi Master, Chungliang Al Huang, as he signs two of his titles: “Quantum Soup” and “Tao Mentoring” . RSVP: 978-5248.
- International Reggae Conference 2013. This three-day event kicks off tomorrow at the University of the West Indies, Mona Campus. The conference will officially begin at 10 am with the Hon. Lisa Hanna Minister of Youth and Culture. The presentations run from 10 am – 6 pm each day. The annual Bob Marley lecture will be delivered by Mr. Alan “Skill” Cole from 6 pm-9 pm on Valentine’s Day. Don’t let reggae month come to an end without you attending at least one of the presentations. Check here for the full schedule: http://www.mona.uwi.edu/conferences/2013/irc/schedule.php#irc2013 or check out their twitter page: www.twitter.com/irc_2013 or (@IRC_2013)
- Take a long relaxing drive together. Driving with your partner across the island, witnessing breath-taking views and historic sites together is a wonderful way to spend some quality time. Get out that map and start planning your route, there are plenty hotels/ guest houses to stop at if you need to rest. Explore Jamaica !
- Open mic poetry. Profess your love to your partner, or just sit and listen to some good poetry at Rhapsody poetry jam session at Thiiah’s Juices and Organic Foods, 22 Belmont Road, Kingston 5. Have a wonderful time sipping wine and listening to smooth flows. (note: the Jamaica Aids Support for Life will also be in attendance, as they observe Safer Sex Week)
- Jour D’Amour:’Le Valentines Day Flexx at Devon House.This event begins at 2 pm and promises to be a fun night out for young couples. There will be couples’ races, love tests, best couples contest, etc… Go to Devon House and have a fun-filled Valentine’s Day.
- Kiss Flights: A New Way to Say I Love You. The Aviation Club, is hosting their second ever Valentine’s Day event. They debuted it last year and it was a hit and they have decided to afford lucky couples a flight at sunset complete with flight attendant service, in-flight champagne and chocolates and limousine service. For more information, check The Aviation Club’s facebook page: http://www.facebook.com/events/465275360188005/,email: email@example.com or call Tinson pen Aerodrome : 923-0022
- How about a scavenger hunt? Hide little clues all over your home or office and send your partner on a wild goose chase looking for the final prize… The ball is totally in your court to choose the length of the hunt, the clues and the final surprise.
- Live music. There’s nothing like some live music on the day of love. Head to Club Eras on Knutsford Boulevard in New Kingston for this new event which will be held every Thursday
- At your service (at home). We know in these hard economic times, you may have to scale down the price of the gifts. Why not attend to all your partners needs at home, for free! (or for considerably less money) Does he / she like to watch movies? Download / rent their favourite movie and ensure all the amenities of the theatre are provided: intermission, concession stand snacks, food, and juices. Perhaps they prefer the spa life? Transform your home into a spa, offer your partner the best facial, massage, manicure/pedicure they can possible get at home. Whatever they like, cater to their needs within the comfort of your home.
Be creative this Valentine’s Day !
If you’re single on Valentine’s Day, don’t worry! Put on your favourite outfit, ensure you look your best and then head out to the Wyndham Hotel in New Kingston for Lipsticks and Lollipops: The Ultimate Singles Playground. Music by: DJ Kurt Riley, ADM: JMD$ 2000 with invitation; JMD$ 2500 without. [email: firstname.lastname@example.org for invitations]